Mulled cider is the very best cozy drink! Infused with spices like cinnamon and cloves, you can make it in a slow cooker or on the stove (and enjoy that aroma!).
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Method: Stovetop / Pressure Cooker
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 10 allspice berries
- 10 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 gallon apple cider*
- 1/4 cup rum, optional
- 1 small orange, for garnish
- Whole cranberries, for garnish
- Toast the spices: Add the nutmeg, allspice, cloves, star anise and cinnamon to the bottom of a pot (or to a skillet for Slow Cooker instructions). Toast over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Stovetop cooking instructions: Turn the heat to low. Pour in the apple cider and bring to below a simmer, just barely bubbling. Warm for 1 hour on low heat (don’t let it simmer). Skim off any particulate if desired, or stir to re-incorporate it.
- Slow Cooker & Instant Pot instructions: Place the apple cider in the slow cooker or Instant Pot (pressure cooker) with the spices. Cook on low for 3 hours OR Normal using the Instant Pot “Slow Cooker” setting.
- If using, stir in the rum. Garnish with orange slices and cranberries, then serve.
Doubles easily, and fits into a standard slow cooker or Instant Pot.